Monday, November 30, 2009

that time of year, again

Holiday weekends do not typically bring with them productivity. Case in point: I had the week off of school, which would have been a great time to get ahead of the game. Instead I read books not about the American Revolution, and watched a lot of movies.

us all weekend

We did not plan Netflix correctly and found ourselves at the local Red Box, where we rented 3 movies on Saturday evening – Up, The Ugly Truth and G.I. Joe. When he returned them Sunday afternoon, three more came home in their place – Funny People, Angels & Demonsand Four Christmases. As we had just finished decorating our shoebox apartment (lights strung on the high ceilings! Tchatcky everywhere! Fake prelit $20 6′ tree!) , we opted for Four Christmases to keep with the holiday spirit!

It is of no relevance that I happen to love Reese Witherspoon, and forgive her for taking Jakey G away from me (rumors of their split almost broke my heart!). Her kids seem well adjusted, as in not dressing like sluts, and if I had to rank Hollywood parenting skills I would put her right up there with Jennifer Garner. This has absolutely no bearing on this movie at all, because my love for Reese was leveled out by my ambivalence for Vince Vaughn, but it was a pretty decent movie. This paragraph is not even close to my point, by the way.

In one scene in the movie the main characters were trying to go to Tahiti for the Christmas Holiday to avoid their families. Mr B made an offhand comment that we could never do that with my family, because we actually love them and like spending time together.

many pumpkin martinis were consumed

And, he’s right. This year we spent three days at their house eating, drinking and laughing. We saw the high school football half time show, played hearts with my folks, and had ten people for dinner, plus an additional six for drinks and foyer-turned-dance-hall party afterwards. There were two twenty pound turkeys, each brined to perfection, stuffed cabbage, veggies, salad and more dessert than you could shake a fist at. While we missed my sister (who is still living in Ireland), it was nice to have so much of the family together.

Of course, Thanksgiving marks the kickoff of the holiday season. Mr B and I pack the Trans Siberian Orchestra CD’s and listen to them on the 2 hour car ride home. While we planned to bag serious decorating this year because a. we have no room and b. we won’t actually be here for Christmas Day, that fell through once we wrapped the first gift. We needed lights! And that required a trip to Lowes to get sticky hooks to hold them up…and we emerged with a fake, pre lit tree. We barely have enough room for it, but it’s so well worth it.

It seems that for a lot of people the holidays are one stress after another. I am thankful that thus far we’ve been able to keep our eye on the positive side of it all…now to see if that continues in the next few weeks!

peace&love

Ren

No comments:

Post a Comment